Animal licensing

Animals for exhibition

You will need to register with us for keeping or training animals for exhibition.

This includes performance in a:

  • circus
  • television or film production
  • theatre performance

It does not apply to the training of animals for legitimate military, police, agricultural or sporting purposes or the exhibition of these animals in demonstration or similar events.

Apply for registration

The form below can be used to apply for different types of animal welfare licences and registration.

To apply for a performing animals registration, you must complete sections 1, 6 and 7.

The completed form and relevant documents can be emailed to us at the address below.


For new or renewed licences, the grant fee can either be paid:

  • upon application – the full amount of grant fee will be refunded if the application is refused
  • following inspection, when the licence is ready to be issued
Licence activity Fee details Fee total
New licence £280 application fee, plus £75 grant fee if application is approved £355
Renewal £280 application fee, plus £75 grant fee if renewal is approved £355
Variation to licence £85 application fee, plus £137 inspection fee £222
Re-evaluation of rating £85 application fee, plus £137 inspection fee £222
Variation to reduce licensable activities or number of animals £85 application fee £85
Transfer of licence £85 application fee £85
Appeal £137 inspection fee, to be refunded if appeal is successful £137
Combination of licensable animal welfare activities £280 application fee, plus £140 per additional activity, plus £75 grant fee per activity if application is approved, plus vets fees if required for inspection £355 plus £215 per additional activity, plus vets fees if required

Registration conditions

For government guidance on applying and the conditions you'll need to meet, go to GOV.UK: Keeping or training animals for exhibition.

To read the government's guidance for licensing authorities, go to GOV.UK: Animal activities licensing – statutory guidance for local authorities.

Check a registration

You can check whether a performing animal is registered with us.

Search licensing records

Making a complaint

Contact us if you have reason to complain about an animal registered for exhibition that we have licensed. You should tell us:

  • your name and contact phone number
  • details of the animal you wish to complain about
  • details of what your complaint or problem is

All complaints are dealt with in the strictest confidence and your details will not be released, but are required for us to contact you for further details.

Licensing team
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL.