Animal licensing

Dangerous wild animal licence

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 regulates the keeping of certain kinds of animals. It is an offence to keep any animal of a kind listed in the the Act without a licence. The Act does not apply to zoos, circuses, pet shops or establishments registered for carrying out animal experiments.

Animals covered by this licence are included in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 Schedule.

Apply for a licence

You must complete the application form below to apply for a licence. After completing the form, you must phone to pay the licence fee.

Dangerous wild animal licence application


For details of current fees, go to our animal licensing fees page.

Payment by phone

: 01375 652 652

Licence conditions

Different conditions will apply for each different type of animal.

There are some standard conditions that will apply in all cases. These include:

  • the animal shall be kept by no person other than the person or persons specified on the licence
  • the animal shall normally be held at such premises as are specified on the licence
  • the animal shall not be moved from those premises, except in the circumstances named on the licence
  • suitable public liability insurance is held for the keeping of the animal

All licences expire annually on 31 December.

Check a licence

You can check online for dangerous wild animal licences held in Thurrock.

Search licensing records

Making a complaint

Contact us if you have reason to complain about the keeping of a dangerous wild animal that we licence. You should tell us:

  • your name and phone number
  • details of the premises you wish to complain about
  • details of your complaint or problem

All complaints are dealt with in the strictest confidence. Your details will not be released but are required for us to contact you for further information.

Licensing team
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL.