Animal welfare licensing

Boarding for cats or dogs

You need a licence for providing or arranging for the provision of boarding for cats or dogs.

An animal boarding establishment is defined as a business providing accommodation for other people's cats or dogs. This includes 'home boarding', where you look after someone's cat or dog in your home as part of a business.

There are exceptions to this, if the keeping of the animals are not the main activity of the premises – for example, a vet's or dog grooming business.

Apply for a licence

The form below can be used to apply for different types of animal welfare licences and registration.

To apply for an animal boarding establishment licence, you must complete sections 1, 4 and 7.

The completed form and relevant documents can be emailed to us at the address below.


For new or renewed licences, the grant fee can either be paid:

  • upon application – the full amount of grant fee will be refunded if the application is refused
  • following inspection, when the licence is ready to be issued
Licence activity Fee details Fee total
New licence £280 application fee, plus £75 grant fee if application is approved £355
Renewal £280 application fee, plus £75 grant fee if renewal is approved £355
Variation to licence £85 application fee, plus £137 inspection fee £222
Re-evalutation of rating £85 application fee, plus £137 inspection fee £222
Variation to reduce licensable activities or number of animals £85 application fee £85
Transfer of licence £85 application fee £85
Appeal £137 inspection fee, to be refunded if appeal is successful £137
Combination of licensable animal welfare activities £280 application fee, plus £140 per additional activity, plus £75 grant fee per activity if application is approved, plus vets fees if required for inspection £355 plus £215 per additional activity, plus vets fees if required

Licence conditions

New animal welfare regulations came into effect on 1 October 2018.

Download the new regulations and government guidance from the Canine and Feline Sector Group (CFSG): legislation and guidance.

Check a licence

You can check online whether an animal boarding establishment is licensed in Thurrock.

Making a complaint

Contact us if you have reason to complain about an animal boarding establishment that we licence. You should tell us:

  • your name and phone number
  • details of the premises you wish to complain about
  • details of your complaint or problem

All complaints are dealt with in the strictest confidence. Your details will not be released but are required for us to contact you for further information.

Licensing team
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL.