Book an inspection
You must notify us at the following stages of your construction works:
- oversite preparation
- insulation and damp-proof membrane prior to placing concrete
- damp proof course
- steel beams
- floor/roof joists
- thermal/sound insulation
- laid and ready for inspection
- trench backfilled and drains on or ready for test
A completion certificate will be issued on completion of the work, confirming that the work has been inspected and is in accordance with the building regulations. It should be kept in a safe place for future reference.
You can usually get a same-day inspection if you book before 9am, Monday to Friday.
Before booking an inspection, you should be aware that:
- if the person carrying out the work fails to inform us at each of the above stages of works, they will be required to cut into, lay open or pull down such work as necessary to enable us to determine compliance with the building regulations
- where the work will involve an encroachment on adjoining property for any purpose whatsoever, it is the owner's responsibility to make sure that prior agreement is obtained from the adjoining owner
- if the loading on the existing structure is to be increased – for example, a first floor extension – it may be necessary to expose the foundations, beams and lintels for inspection
- if it is proposed to discharge surface water into an adjacent water course, or to construct a water treatment plant for foul water disposal, it will be necessary to obtain formal consent from the Environment Agency
- when gas mains are exposed in excavations or gas meters are enclosed, you should contact National Grid Gas
- the plan approval is valid only for 3 years from the date the plans are deposited, which means the work must commence within this time, otherwise a new building regulation application will be needed
Book a building control inspection
You can contact us using the details below, but please use our inspection booking form in first instance for new requests.
: 01375 652 655