Charity collection licensing

House-to-house collection permit

If you are going door-to-door collecting money or goods for charitable purposes, you will need a permit from us. This includes where you are collecting goods for resale, with the intention of making a charitable donation from the proceeds. It applies to collections from either houses or businesses.

In issuing house-to-house collection permits, we try to make sure that no more than 1 collection takes place in any particular location in Thurrock on any day.

Some charities hold an national exemption order from the Cabinet Office. Go to GOV.UK: National exemption order scheme.

All collections in Thurrock should follow our house-to-house collection guidance.

Apply for a permit

You must apply for a licence at least 1 month prior to the first collection date.

Apply for a charity collection licence


You don't have to pay a fee for a house-to-house collection permit.

After you have carried out a collection

You must submit a return that shows what has been collected and how much has been passed to the charity after any deductions.

You must do this even if no money is collected, otherwise you may be refused permission to make collections in future.

Use the form below to supply your return.

Supply a return for a charity collection

Check to see if a collection is authorised

You can check whether a house-to-house collection permit is authorised within Thurrock.

Making a complaint

If you have reason to complain about a house-to-house collection taking place in Thurrock, you can send your complaint to our Licensing team.

You should tell us:

  • your name and phone number
  • details of the date, time and place of the house-to-house collection you wish to complain about
  • details of your concern, including descriptions of collectors and charities for which collections were being made

We deal with complaints in the strictest confidence. Your details will not be released, but we need them so we can contact you for further details.

Licensing team
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL.