Charity collection licensing

Street collection permits

If you are collecting money or selling goods for charitable purposes on a street or other public place, you will need a street collection permit.

In issuing street collection permits, we try to make sure that no more than 1 collection takes place in any particular location in Thurrock on any day.

For collections on private land, you may also need to get permission from the land owner for a collection to take place.

Apply for a licence

You must apply for a licence at least 1 month before the first collection date.

Apply for a charity collection licence


You don't have to pay a fee for a street collection licence.

After you have carried out a collection

You must submit a return that shows what has been collected and how much has been passed to the charity after any deductions.

You must do this even if no money is collected, otherwise you may be refused permission to make collections in future.

Use the form below to supply your return.

Supply a return for a charity collection

Check if a collection is authorised

You can check a street collection is licensed.

Making a complaint

If you have reason to complain about a street collection taking place in Thurrock, you can send your complaint to our Licensing team.

You should tell us:

  • your name and phone number
  • details of the date, time and place of the street collection you wish to complain about
  • details of your concern, including descriptions of collectors and charities for which collections were being made

We deal with complaints in the strictest confidence. Your details will not be released, but we need them so we can contact you for further details.

Licensing team
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL.