Exporting from Thurrock

Exports from 2021

The Brexit transition period ends at 11pm on 31 December 2020.

After this period, there are important changes to way the UK trades with European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) countries.

For full information on changes from 1 January 2021, go to GOV.UK: Brexit transition.

Trade with EU and EEA countries

Up to 31 December 2020, exports to the EU/EEA have been considered 'free trade' and would not usually require any form of health certification.

From 1 January 2021, exports to the EU/EEA may require health certificates.

If you are planning to export, it is essential you get details of:

  • your customers' requirements and specifications
  • import requirements for the countries to which you would be exporting

You may need a health certificate as part of your export documentation if your product is:

  • food
  • food-related
  • a product of animal origin

The above will apply even if the product is not for human consumption.

For further advice, go to:

Trade via an EU country

Special rules may apply if you are exporting to a country outside the EU but your consignment is going via an EU country. This is known as 'Transhipment' or 'Transit'.

You should check with your export agent in the UK or your import agent in the destination country.

Other documents you may need

You may need a 'Certificate of Preferential Origin' or a 'Certificate of Free Sale'.

For advice on these, go to other documents that may help your export.