Fireworks storage licensing

Fireworks storage licence

If you wish to keep fireworks and other explosives, such as safety cartridges or vehicle airbag detonators, you must apply for a licence.

Legal regulations now refer to 'net mass' – this is the quantity of explosive contained within the fireworks, and not its overall weight. Net mass is the actual weight of the explosive itself, without the weight of packaging.

You don't need an explosives certificate if you store less than 5kg of explosives. You don't need to be licensed if you store less than 15kg of small arms ammunition. Exemptions apply to the short term storage of fireworks.

There are 2 types of licence:

  • 5kg to 250kg net mass
  • 250kg to 2 tonnes net mass

Apply for a fireworks storage licence

All licences can be renewed, generally annually.

Fireworks storage licences cover the following prescribed periods:

  • first day of the Chinese New Year and the 3 days immediately preceding it
  • the day of Diwali and the 3 days immediately preceding it
  • beginning on 15 October and ending on 10 November
  • beginning on 26 December and ending on 31 December

You will need an 'all year round' fireworks licence if you intend to supply fireworks at times other than those listed above.


New and renewal licence fees can be paid for 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 4 years or 5 years.

Fee type by net mass 1 year 2 years 3 years 4 years 5 years
New licence, up to 2 tonnes £189 £248 £311 £382 £432
Renewal of licence, up to 2 tonnes £88 £150 £211 £272 £333
New licence, up to 250kg £111 £144 £177 £211 £243
Renewal of licence, up to 250kg £55 £88 £123 £155 £189

The fee for a 1-year 'all year round' fireworks storage licence is £500.

The fee for variation, transfer or replacement of a licence is £37.

Fees for licences and registrations are subject to annual changes.

Further advice

Further information is available from GOV.UK: fireworks manufacture and storage licences and Health and Safety Executive (HSE): fireworks.

Go to our bonfires and fireworks pages for safety information, and advice on organising events.