Freedom of information response

Noise complaints

Publication date: 
Monday 12 June 2023

1.            In the 2022 calendar year could you please state how many complaints about noise issues were recorded by your environmental health/noise complaints department?

2.            In relation to the complaints in 2022 calendar year how many of these related to complaints about:

(i)            Barking dogs,

(ii)           Chickens and cockerels, and

(iii)          Sexual noise.

1.         If you had any complaints that related to (iii) sexual noise please state (a) a summary of the nature of the complaint and (b) what you as the local authority did as a result of the complaint.


1. For the calendar year 2022 (1st January to 31st December) Thurrock Council Environmental Health received 1,510 noise complaints;

2.            (i) Of these 328 relate to barking dogs;

(ii) Of these 14 relate to cockerels/chickens;

(iii) Of these 0 relate to sexual noise; and

3. No action required.

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes. However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information. Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your FOI request you can pursue an Internal Review by contacting us using the above email address. An internal review must be submitted within 40 working days of your original reply. Your request will be considered by a senior member of the Information Management Team who will update you with the outcome of the review.

If you remain unhappy following the outcome of your Internal Review you may wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and details of this organisation can be found at . Please be advised that the ICO will not consider your case until they have confirmation that you have already been through the Internal Review stage with the council.

Request reference:
FOI 12807