Freedom of information response

Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete

Publication date: 
Tuesday 14 March 2023

In 2018 the Local Government Association and Department for Education sent an alert to schools and responsible authorities about the use of Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC) that was used to construct any part of school estates between the 1960s and 1980s. Could you please answer the following questions relating to the official Government guidance.

  1. According to the Government guidance, since 2018 how many schools for which you have maintenance responsibility require inspection to determine if RAAC is present?
  2. How many of those schools have been physically inspected to identify if RAAC is present?
  3. For each building that was inspected: 

3a) How many required remedial works to replace or repair the RAAC?

3b) How many repairs have been completed?


All Thurrock schools are academies with the exception of one school which is voluntary aided, however this school is not controlled by Thurrock and therefore you should direct your request each of the schools governing body directly.

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your FOI request you can pursue an Internal Review by contacting us using the above email address. Your request will be considered by a senior member of the Information Management Team who will update you with the outcome of the review. 

If you remain unhappy following the outcome of your Internal Review you may wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and details of this organisation can be found at . Please be advised that the ICO will not consider your case until they have confirmation that you have already been through the Internal Review stage with the council.

Request reference:
FOI 12596