Food business registration

Advice for childminders

Children can be more seriously affected by food poisoning than adults, so food safety is an important childcare issue.

The Food Standards Agency has published advice for registered child minders on domestic premises who provide food to children in their care. This advice has been produced in response to questions about whether these child minders are required to register as food business operators. Go to Food Standards Agency: childminders' registration and food.

The advice is only for registered child minders on domestic premises. It is not meant for nannies, people providing home childcare or carers operating from non-domestic premises such as nurseries, care homes and schools.