Fraud and other economic crime

Reporting fraud and other economic crime

Fraud and other economic crimes – such as theft, bribery, corruption and money laundering – cost the UK taxpayer billions of pounds each year.

If you suspect someone is committing fraud, report it.

Benefit fraud

Benefit fraud cases are investigated by the government's Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Contact the DWP if you suspect someone is committing benefit fraud:

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - benefit fraud

: 0800 854 440 - National Benefit Fraud helpline

GOV.UK: Report benefit fraud

Other types of fraud

There are several types of fraud and economic crime that affect council services. You should let us know if you suspect someone is committing any of the following:

  • housing tenancy fraud
  • council tax fraud
  • business rates fraud
  • Blue Badge fraud for disabled parking
  • social care fraud
  • insurance fraud
  • council employee and contractor fraud, bribery or corruption
  • money laundering

We take action against anyone who commits these types of crime against us.

Report fraud – other than benefit fraud

You can report anonymously using the form above, or contact us using the details below.

Counter fraud and investigation
PO Box 1, Thurrock Council, New Road, Grays, RM17 6LT

: 01375 652 157


Any report of fraud or economic crime against us will be taken extremely seriously.

Go to our electoral fraud page for advice on what to do if you believe someone has deliberately tried to cheat at an election.