For the safety and protection of the public, you must hold a valid licence issued by us if you wish to drive a taxi.
You can apply for a licence to drive a hackney carriage or a private hire vehicle:
- hackney carriage vehicles can ply for hire on the streets and can use the taxi ranks around Thurrock
- private hire vehicles can be booked for hire by the public through a licensed private hire operator – private hire vehicles cannot ply for hire and cannot use taxi ranks
Licences are valid for 12 months.
To qualify as a driver you must:
- be aged 21 or over
- have held a UK or EU driving licence for at least 3 years
- have no relevant convictions or have been determined by the licensing and appeals committee to be a fit and proper person
- be medically fit
- pass a knowledge test of roads and landmarks in Thurrock
- pass a PATS training course
You can check whether a hackney carriage or private hire driver is licensed with us.
Policy and conditions
Policies and conditions relating to hackney carriage and private hire driver's licences.
Taxi licensing policy