Help with money

Household Support Fund

As the UK continues its recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, the government has announced a 'Household Support Fund' to help vulnerable households through the winter months. The fund is intended to provide support for eligible households towards daily essentials such as food, clothes and utility bills. We will receive government funds for this support during October 2021, and will publish full details on how the scheme is to work locally as soon as this is confirmed.

Debt and money advice

Some basic rules for dealing with debt problems are:


  • disregard debt problems
  • ignore court papers or letters from creditors


  • deal with all your debts
  • fill in and return any court forms
  • go to any court hearing

Go to Citizens Advice: work out your budget to get help understanding:

  • what you're earning
  • what you're spending
  • where you might be able to cut costs

Free independent advice

There are a number of services that offer free, confidential and independent advice if you are struggling to deal with your problems:

Money Advice Service

: 0300 500 5000

The Money Advice Service gives independent advice and guidance on money matters.

National Debtline

: 0808 808 4000

National Debtline is an independent debt advice service run by the charity Money Advice Trust.

Citizens Advice South Essex
Voluntary and Community Resource Centre, High Street, Grays, RM17 6XP

: 0808 278 7877 (free phone)

Citizens Advice: Debt and Money – offers a debt counselling service that may help if you are in severe financial difficulty.

StepChange Debt Remedy

: 0800 138 1111

Debt Remedy helps you make an personal action plan online for the best way to deal with your debts.


: 0808 802 2000

Turn2us helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help.

You can also get advice at GOV.UK: options for paying off your debt/

Fair debt collection

Our policy for fair debt collection and recovery is provided below.