Household waste and recycling

Changes to household bin collections

From Monday 26 September to Friday 30 September there will be no blue bin collections. We will collect green/grey bins and brown bins from every household – that means 'Week 1' and 'Week 2' households will all have brown bins collected.

From Monday 3 October, brown bin collections are suspended until further notice for all households. We will collect green/grey bins and blue bins from every household. Food and other waste that could make a bad smell can be put in your green/grey bin.

From Monday 3 October until Friday 7 October, we will collect up to 2 clear plastic bags of recycling side waste. Please flatten your side waste as much as possible. You can collect plastic bags at Thurrock libraries from Wednesday 28 September, while supplies last.

Please share this information with friends and neighbours in Thurrock. We apologise for any inconvenience, caused by a UK-wide shortage of HGV drivers affecting numbers of staff available. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Special types of waste

Some types of waste have special arrangements for disposal. This may be because the waste can be hazardous if not handled carefully, or because there are specials ways of recycling.

The table below lists special types of waste and how you should dispose of them.

Waste type What to do
Asbestos You must dispose of asbestos waste at a specially licensed site.
Batteries (household) Thurrock libraries and some local supermarkets have battery recycling boxes. You can also dispose of household batteries at Linford Household Waste and Recycling Centre.
Brita filter cartridges Contact Brita for information on recycling.
Clinical waste Clinical waste includes infectious items, identifiable human tissue, needles from syringes – go to disposing of clinical waste.
Dead animals We will collect and remove dead animals from public highways and council-owned land – report a dead animal for removal.
Gas bottles Check on the bottle for a return phone number. Alternatively, contact garden centres, camping shops or the Environment Agency.
Japanese Knotweed

Japanese Knotweed must not be put in any bin that we provide.

It is classed by law as 'controlled waste' and must be disposed of safely at a licensed landfill site. Soil containing Japanese Knotweed material can be regarded as contaminated. If taken off a site, must be disposed of at a licensed landfill site and buried to a depth of at least 5m.

You must employ a contractor licensed to remove and legally dispose of Japanese Knotweed as controlled waste. Licensed contractors include:

  • A. G. Mitchell Countryside, Maldon, Essex – 01621 334 241
  • Ambassador Services, Ongar, Essex – 01277 363 303
  • Andrew Smith Weed Control Services – 01277 26 4651
  • Eco Control Solutions, Leeds – 0113 224 9555
Medicine You should take unwanted medicines – tablets or liquids – to your local chemist or pharmacy for safe disposal.
Petrol We do not have facilities for recycling or disposing of petrol. You may try returning it to the garage from where it was purchased or, for specific situations, contact the Environment Agency.
Plastic bags, plastic wrappings and other soft plastics You can take plastic bags and other kinds of soft plastics to supermarket collection points. For a list of local supermarkets that recycle these plastics, and the types of plastic they accept, go to Recycle Now: plastic bags and wrapping.
Sanitary waste (infectious) Infectious sanitary waste, including dressings and pads, is a type of clinical waste – go to disposing of clinical waste.
Stoma bags Please empty the contents down the toilet and seal the bag in a plastic bag. It may then be placed in your green/grey wheeled bin. Stoma bags are not classed as clinical waste.
Syringes with needles You can safely dispose of clinical sharps – needles, syringes, lancets or needle clippers – for free in boxes we provide some local pharmacies. Go to safe disposal of 'sharps' for a list of pharmacies that have these boxes.