Local housing allowance

Vulnerable tenants

A vulnerable tenant is someone who may have difficulty managing their money, not someone who doesn't want to pay their rent.

We must have proof that the tenant cannot manage their money. Evidence must usually be in writing. People who can give evidence include:

  • the tenant
  • friends and family of the tenant
  • the landlord
  • reputable financial institutions
  • welfare groups, including money advisers
  • social services
  • GP
  • courts
  • probation officers
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • The Pension Service

Evidence from the landlord cannot be accepted alone. We will work with the tenant in making our decision.

For us to consider paying your benefit to your landlord, please complete and return the payment to landlord request form.

We will review your request and let you have our decision in writing. To assist us in making a decision quickly, all relevant evidence must be submitted with the application form.

Vulnerable people

These can include people who have:

  • severe debt problems
  • a recent county court judgement against them
  • an undischarged bankruptcy
  • the inability to open a bank or building society account
  • some of their income support or jobseeker's allowance paid direct to the gas, electricity or water company by the Department for Work and Pensions
  • is getting help from the Supporting People programme
  • is getting help from a homeless charity

We may look into whether the tenant is vulnerable if the tenant:

  • has learning difficulties
  • has an illness that stops them managing on a day-to-day basis
  • cannot read or speak English
  • is addicted to drugs, alcohol or gambling
  • is homeless

There may also be other reasons why someone might be vulnerable.