Make a building control application

Demolition application

Demolishing part or all of a building should be undertaken by a competent person or contractor. It is the owner's responsibility to make sure it is carried out in a safe manner and all relevant notifications are given.

You must give us at least 6 weeks' notice of any intended demolition work that involves all or part of any building, unless it is:

  • as a result of a demolition order issued by the council
  • an internal part of an occupied building that will continue to be occupied
  • a building less than 50 cubic metres externally measured
  • a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage, even if it is part of a larger building
  • an agricultural building that is not contiguous to another building

Read our demolition application guidance for more information.

Fees and expenses

You don't have to pay a fee to give notice of a demolition.

We may recover any expenses we incur regarding the issue of a notice and any necessary inspection.

If the demolition is not part of an application made to us, an invoice for the sum of £80 will be issued to the person responsible for the demolition.

How to apply

There are 2 different ways to give notice of a demolition. We recommend using our online form.

You can complete our online application form, below.

Thurrock Council – building control applications

You can also download and complete the forms below, to send by email with supporting documents.