Make a building control application

Regularisation application

Building work is considered unauthorised when carried out without building control approval. Where unauthorised works have been are carried out, the building owner may be prosecuted. Consent can still be sought, however, by applying for a regularisation certificate.

Regularisation applies only to works started on or after 11 November 1985.

To meet building regulations, works may need to be:

  • exposed
  • removed
  • rectified

Fees and approvals

You should check our current building control fees and charges. Regularisation fees are not subject to VAT.

Once we have registered your application, we will confirm the application fee. You must pay this fee so we can complete the validation of your application.

When all works have been approved, we will issue a certificate of regularisation.

Please read our regularisation application guidance for more information.

Application forms

You can complete a regularisation application form online, via the national Planning Portal.

Planning Portal – building control applications

You can also use the forms below. Completed forms and supporting documents can be sent to us by email or printed and sent by post.