Massage and special treatments licensing

Massage or other special treatment licensing

If you operate a business providing massages or other 'special treatments' from a premises or your home, you will need a licence.

Other special treatments include:

  • laser treatments – for example, hair removal
  • fish pedicures
  • electrodermograph treatments
  • waxing
  • colonic irrigation
  • light treatments
  • electric or heat treatments
  • other special treatments
  • sauna or other bath treatments

In addition to any standard special treatment licence issued, separate licence applications will be needed to cover:

  • laser treatments
  • sunbeds
  • fish pedicures


The following fees apply:

  • £130 for the first year (or part thereof) for any new licence
  • £70 per year licence renewal


There is a business owner application and an employee application. The latter must also be completed by owner-operators.

You may be refused a licence if:

  • you are under 21 years of age
  • you or the person who will manage the premises is deemed unsuitable
  • you have been convicted of particular offences
  • the premises you intend to use are unsuitable
  • you don't have staff with adequate professional or technical experience
  • safety of equipment or the treatment is deemed unsatisfactory
  • your establishment is being carried out in contravention of any local act or by-law

All special treatment licences are valid for 1 year from the date of issue.

Please read our standard conditions for massage or other special treatment licences.

These licences will be required in addition to any skin piercing, tattooing or acupuncture registration required under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) 1982. You should also refer to the conditions set out in the Essex Act 1987 Chapter xx, Part VI.


You can:

When renewing a licence, you can complete and attach the form below to tell us about employee starters and leavers.

Contact us if you need to change your premises licence for massage or other special treatments.

Licensing team
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL.


Appeals and complaints

If your application is refused, you will have an opportunity to appeal. In the first instance, please contact us. Appeals must be made within 21 days of the date you received notification of the decision in writing.

Magistrates' court decisions can be appealed to the Crown Court.

If you wish to complain about a trader, you should first contact the trader directly – preferably in the form a letter with proof of delivery. If this does not work, Citizen's Advice can give you advice.