Moving to different council housing

Help to downsize your property

We offer advantages and opportunities to our tenants who would like to 'downsize' from their current property to a property with fewer bedrooms.

You could benefit from downsizing if:

  • your home is too large
  • you have a spare bedroom
  • your garden is too big to look after
  • you would like to cut your household bills
  • having a spare bedroom means your housing benefit has been reduced
  • you would like help to move

Help with money

We can offer you a payment for moving to a smaller property – currently up to £2,000.

If you have rent arrears we will put the money towards settling your account and then give to you any amount left over.

Help with moving

Depending on your personal needs, we can help by arranging:

  • removals, which can include a packing service if required
  • the disconnection and reconnection of gas or electric cookers
  • the disconnection and reconnection of washing machines and dishwashers
  • the removal and disposal of any unwanted items that have been left at the old property
  • for new carpets to be fitted at the new property
  • a handyman service for small jobs at the new property, such as hanging pictures and curtains, or putting together flat pack furniture

We will agree costs with you before you move. Payment will be taken from the money we are offering.

Other help

When moving to a property with fewer bedrooms:

  • we will give you a higher priority on the housing waiting list, either band two or three depending on how many bedrooms you are freeing up
  • you can bid for properties that meet the bedroom needs for those in your household
  • if you are a couple moving from a 3-bedroom or 4-bedroom house, you will also be able to bid for a 2-bedroom flat or bungalow, even if you need only 1 bed

Contact us

Before you can take advantage of our downsizing offer, you must have already have an open application on our housing register. Go to housing transfers for advice on applying to join the housing register transfer list.

Complete and return the form below if you are interested in downsizing.

Housing Registration
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL