Association of South Essex Local Authorities
The Association of South Essex Local Authorities (ASELA) is a partnership of 7 neighbouring councils that are working together to promote growth, prosperity and well-being in the region.
The partners are:
- Basildon Borough Council
- Brentwood Borough Council
- Castle Point Borough Council
- Essex County Council
- Rochford District Council
- Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
- Thurrock Council
Together we're making south Essex a great place to live, visit and do business.
Opportunities and challenges don't stop at local authority borders
In January 2018, the partnership agreed a principle that authorities should work together on opportunities and challenges across south Essex over the next 30 years.
ASELA is working on 5 major programmes:
- Thames Freeport – ASELA is a partner of Thames Freeport, a special economic zone that connects Ford's engine plant in Dagenham to the Thurrock ports at London Gateway and Tilbury, offering real potential for enormous growth across south Essex
- South Essex Estuary (SEE) Park – a single area of high-quality green space, within 300 metres of every door and workspace in the region, connected by cycleways and a 70km coastal path from Tilbury Fort to Shoeburyness
- new technical university – a business-led proposal that could transform higher education by offering a wide range of work-based learning courses, including degree apprenticeships, both for young people and current employees who wish to learn new skills
- infrastructure and housing – working with Homes England and local housing associations to increase amount of affordable housing available
- superfast digital connectivity – every household, business and community facility should have superfast digital connectivity by the year 2025
In October 2021, ASELA formed a joint committee for making partnership decisions and allocating resources. Meetings are held in public. Go to ASELA: meeting agenda and minutes.
Find out much more on the Association of South Essex Local Authorities (ASELA) website.