You must apply for a licence if you want to place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement.
The issue of a licence may be dependent on restrictions or conditions – for example:
- where on the pavement you can place furniture
- how big the furniture can be
- marking the border of your seating area
- leaving a certain width of pavement free for pedestrians
There is an application fee of £100.
How to apply
You can apply by completing and returning the form below.
Tables and chairs on the pavement – application form
When returning the form, you must include:
- a site plan
- evidence of public liability insurance
- a photos showing the area to be licensed
- pictures of photos of the tables and chairs to be used
Guidance on how to submit your documents and pay the fee is included within the application form.
If you don't have a licence, don’t follow the conditions or haven’t paid the fee, you will be required to remove your furniture from the pavement.