Street parties

Keeping it simple

Organising a street party is simpler than you may think.

The Street Party Site, Eden Project: The Big Lunch and GOV.UK: your guide to organising a street party are great websites to help you plan your street party.

Road closures

For most small parties in quiet streets, all we need to know is where and when the closure will take place so we can plan around it – for example, so emergency services know. We will need to know a few weeks in advance so we can put in place a traffic regulation order.

If you can’t or don’t want to close your road, you could organise a 'Street Meet' on private land, such as a driveway or front garden. You don't need to fill out a form for this, but please contact us about your plans. You can find guidance on the Streets Alive: street meet web page.

There are no deadlines in law for letting us know your plans. We simply ask that you share with us well in advance for the convenience of your neighbours, other residents and local businesses.

We will not charge you for a road closure.

Go to Streets Alive: road closures for advice on road closure signs. You can borrow, hire or buy signs and cones, or print your own signs from downloadable templates if they are for using in daylight.

You should promote your event, but fly-posting and other unauthorised advertising is not allowed along the highway or on council-owned land.

Insurance and risk assessments

You will need to buy public liability insurance for your street party. Look at the advice on the Streets Alive: insurance web page and shop around. The cost could be split between people attending, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs.

You should not need a risk assessment – as long as you give thought to the needs of all those attending, then common sense precautions should be enough.


The law does not require you to have a music licence at a street party unless amplified music is one of the main purposes of the event.

If you plan to sell alcohol you will need to check whether you need a Temporary Events Notice – this is a temporary permission for activities that would otherwise need a licence.

One-off events like street parties aren't usually considered food businesses, so there are no forms to fill in. You must make sure that any food provided is safe to eat, however. Go to FSA: catering advice for charity and community groups and NHS Choices: how to prepare and cook food safely.

You don't have to register a lottery, raffle, sweepstake or tombola if you are running an 'incidental non-commercial lottery', for which tickets must be sold and the winners announced at the event. Anyone at the event, including children, can take part. There are limits to how much can spent on prizes, excluding donated prizes, and the amount that can be taken from the proceeds for expenses – go to the Gambling Commission: fundraising and lotteries to find out more.