What's in your library
Thurrock Libraries is a community partner of the Good Things Foundation: National Databank scheme, which provides free mobile phone data, texts and calls for people in need.
The following companies are supporting the scheme by providing free SIM cards – small plastic cards that slot into mobile phones.
|Company||Data allowance available||How long|
|Virgin Media O2||15GB per month||6 months|
|Vodafone||20GB per month||6 months|
You may be able to benefit from this scheme – also known as 'data gifting' – if:
- you are at least 18 years-old
- you are a Thurrock resident
- you are receiving benefits or on low income
- you can't afford your phone's monthly contract or top-up charges
- you have limited or no access to the internet in the UK, either at home or when away from home
- your mobile device is either 'unlocked' or compatible with a participating company's SIM card – contact your mobile service provider or ask our library staff if you're not sure
At present you can only sign-up for the scheme at Belhus library, Chadwell library, East Tilbury library, Grays library or Tilbury library, although we're working to offer the scheme at other libraries.
You can get a free SIM card by asking at any of the libraries listed above. You only need to:
- read the National Databank terms and conditions below
- bring your mobile device to one of the libraries above so the SIM card can be inserted
- sign a short registration form at the library to confirm you've read the terms and conditions and you are eligible
SIM cards will be available from October 2022. You can sign-up for an initial 6 months, during which you'll receive a data allowance on a monthly basis. After this first 6 months you may be able to sign-up for a second 6-month period if the scheme hasn't changed.